Dear Friends and Family,
Please forgive me for being out of touch. I had my ovarian surgery on September 18, 2009. The surgeons took out both ovaries, and my appendix, too!
For the first 24 hours after surgery I had no feeling in my right side, from my waist down to my toes. When the doctor kept touching my right leg, and asking me if I could feel it, I thought that she was kidding. When the doctor and the nurses gave each other “The Look”, I knew that this was serious. It was very weird when I touched my right leg, it was cold and I could not feel anything. It was like it was someone else’s leg! Luckily my medications were changed and I started to regain the feeling in my right side. I also got muscle spasms (charley horses) in my surgical area (stomach) for the first 2 days. Even though I could only feel on my left side, it was very painful. Eventually they stopped.
It takes about one week to culture all of the tissue, liquid, etc. that was removed. The initial biopsy showed no cancer. Fortunately, one week later, the final results agreed – I had no cancer in my ovaries or stomach area! Thank-you all for your thoughts and prayers!! With your prayers and the grace of Jesus, I did not have cancer!
On October 22, 2009, I had my pneumonia shot. I thought that it would be wise to have it as a preventative measure. Well, it was my first pneumonia shot (since I am 57 years old and it is recommended for 65 years and older) and as it turns out that I am allergic to the shot! I also had cellulites, which is an infection in the same spot I had the shot.
I spent 4 days in the hospital, from October 25 – 28, for the 4th time since February 25! I asked them if I could have a brass name plaque on the door, since I was such a frequent visitor! I knew that I had been there too often when my breakfast was delivered by Viola, and she said, “Hi, Linda, I saw your name on the order and wanted to deliver it myself, so I could see you.” She is a nice woman from the Philippines, who had become my friend since my first hospital stay in February.
On November 2, 2009, I had another PET scan. PET scans literally scan your body from head to toe, to see if there are any tumors or cancer present. I got the wonderful news on Tuesday, November 3, that I was CANCER FREE!!!!
I immediately went to bed for three days. I felt like I had been running continuous marathons since February 25, 2009. It was such a relief to be able to “let down”, and not have to prepare for more surgeries, chemo or radiation. I was only able to make a brief call to my sister, Annie, to give her the good news. Annie was able to let my side of the family know and Michael emailed the Wogan family to let them know the joyous news!
I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the news to all of my friends outside of the family circle.
I will have a follow-up PET scan in May, 2010. My treatment was a very aggressive course of treatment, because my cancer was so rare. I will continue to be monitored, at least once a week by my wonderful surgeon – Dr. Brad Andrews. He is such a kind, thoughtful, and gentle man. I am so fortunate to have him as my primary ENT specialist.
I do have some side effects, which may or may not be permanent. The chemo seems to have affected my hearing in both ears. I have trouble hearing the upper tones in both ears and I am border line needing hearing aids in both ears.
Also, my eyes will continue to change for about one year after the radiation. I will be getting a new pair of glasses this next month and I am trusting they will help my vision. I am able to drive (Thank-you, Jesus!) without any problem. It has mainly affected my reading (my eyes get tired easily) and my equilibrium. I am currently using a cane, so that I do not “tip over”. I refer to myself as “weeble-wobbly”. Luckily, it only affects my equilibrium outdoors or in large, open areas. Inside I am fine, as long as the ceilings are not too high and the rooms are not too big. So, it is not a problem in my home.
On my right hand, the thumb, pointer, and middle finger, as well as on my left hand’s thumb and pointer finger all have an irritation similar to frostbite. They turn red, purple and are bumpy. There is pain in my fingers and occasionally they bleed. The doctors think that this is another side effect of the chemo.
How fortunate I am that all of these side effects are minimal! They are not really going to affect my quality of life. I am so grateful to be alive! It is amazing how your priorities change when you have come face to face with death!
I am currently writing this update at the YMCA Snow Mountain Camp at Winter Park, Colorado. It is so peaceful and tranquil up here, up in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. There is snow on the ground and it ranges from 17 degrees at night to 37 degrees during the day. We have a 3 bedroom cabin with beautiful views. Michael, Katrina, Shari and I have been enjoying the calmness of the mountains. There is no TV, so I have been busy reading, relaxing, and writing this letter. Shari is putting together a 1000 piece crossword puzzle. She is absolutely amazing! (Shari is the special needs woman who lives with us). Katrina visited an old friend, who lives in Winter Park yesterday. Michael skied yesterday, and is getting ready to ski again today. We are up here for 3 nights and will return home tomorrow -Thanksgiving day. Since Michael works at Nordstrom, he will be working long hours and he will be quite busy right into the New Year. We all are enjoying this rest before the holidays.
On December 9, I am scheduled to have my Power Port removed. It was implanted on the right side of my chest on May 13. The Power Port is attached to a vein in my neck and has three dots under the skin. The three dots mark the spot where the nurses can have instant access to a major vein. It was used during my third surgery, my fourth hospital stay, but was put in mainly in order to administer the chemotherapy. It is quite symbolic that I get to have it removed from my body! It is only a day surgery, but please continue to keep me in your prayers, because when I had it put in I threw up for two days. Anesthesia and I have some major issues!
I am so fortunate to have such a wonderful “Healing Team” of doctors, nurses, family and friends who have supported me during this incredible journey. It has taken all of my “Healing Team” to get me through this past year, so THANK-YOU ALL!
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I am incredibly thankful for all of you who have prayed for me, and the GRACE OF JESUS CHRIST.
MAY ALL OF YOU HAVE A BLESSED THANKSGIVING!
Much love,
Linda
Please forgive me for being out of touch. I had my ovarian surgery on September 18, 2009. The surgeons took out both ovaries, and my appendix, too!
For the first 24 hours after surgery I had no feeling in my right side, from my waist down to my toes. When the doctor kept touching my right leg, and asking me if I could feel it, I thought that she was kidding. When the doctor and the nurses gave each other “The Look”, I knew that this was serious. It was very weird when I touched my right leg, it was cold and I could not feel anything. It was like it was someone else’s leg! Luckily my medications were changed and I started to regain the feeling in my right side. I also got muscle spasms (charley horses) in my surgical area (stomach) for the first 2 days. Even though I could only feel on my left side, it was very painful. Eventually they stopped.
It takes about one week to culture all of the tissue, liquid, etc. that was removed. The initial biopsy showed no cancer. Fortunately, one week later, the final results agreed – I had no cancer in my ovaries or stomach area! Thank-you all for your thoughts and prayers!! With your prayers and the grace of Jesus, I did not have cancer!
On October 22, 2009, I had my pneumonia shot. I thought that it would be wise to have it as a preventative measure. Well, it was my first pneumonia shot (since I am 57 years old and it is recommended for 65 years and older) and as it turns out that I am allergic to the shot! I also had cellulites, which is an infection in the same spot I had the shot.
I spent 4 days in the hospital, from October 25 – 28, for the 4th time since February 25! I asked them if I could have a brass name plaque on the door, since I was such a frequent visitor! I knew that I had been there too often when my breakfast was delivered by Viola, and she said, “Hi, Linda, I saw your name on the order and wanted to deliver it myself, so I could see you.” She is a nice woman from the Philippines, who had become my friend since my first hospital stay in February.
On November 2, 2009, I had another PET scan. PET scans literally scan your body from head to toe, to see if there are any tumors or cancer present. I got the wonderful news on Tuesday, November 3, that I was CANCER FREE!!!!
I immediately went to bed for three days. I felt like I had been running continuous marathons since February 25, 2009. It was such a relief to be able to “let down”, and not have to prepare for more surgeries, chemo or radiation. I was only able to make a brief call to my sister, Annie, to give her the good news. Annie was able to let my side of the family know and Michael emailed the Wogan family to let them know the joyous news!
I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the news to all of my friends outside of the family circle.
I will have a follow-up PET scan in May, 2010. My treatment was a very aggressive course of treatment, because my cancer was so rare. I will continue to be monitored, at least once a week by my wonderful surgeon – Dr. Brad Andrews. He is such a kind, thoughtful, and gentle man. I am so fortunate to have him as my primary ENT specialist.
I do have some side effects, which may or may not be permanent. The chemo seems to have affected my hearing in both ears. I have trouble hearing the upper tones in both ears and I am border line needing hearing aids in both ears.
Also, my eyes will continue to change for about one year after the radiation. I will be getting a new pair of glasses this next month and I am trusting they will help my vision. I am able to drive (Thank-you, Jesus!) without any problem. It has mainly affected my reading (my eyes get tired easily) and my equilibrium. I am currently using a cane, so that I do not “tip over”. I refer to myself as “weeble-wobbly”. Luckily, it only affects my equilibrium outdoors or in large, open areas. Inside I am fine, as long as the ceilings are not too high and the rooms are not too big. So, it is not a problem in my home.
On my right hand, the thumb, pointer, and middle finger, as well as on my left hand’s thumb and pointer finger all have an irritation similar to frostbite. They turn red, purple and are bumpy. There is pain in my fingers and occasionally they bleed. The doctors think that this is another side effect of the chemo.
How fortunate I am that all of these side effects are minimal! They are not really going to affect my quality of life. I am so grateful to be alive! It is amazing how your priorities change when you have come face to face with death!
I am currently writing this update at the YMCA Snow Mountain Camp at Winter Park, Colorado. It is so peaceful and tranquil up here, up in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. There is snow on the ground and it ranges from 17 degrees at night to 37 degrees during the day. We have a 3 bedroom cabin with beautiful views. Michael, Katrina, Shari and I have been enjoying the calmness of the mountains. There is no TV, so I have been busy reading, relaxing, and writing this letter. Shari is putting together a 1000 piece crossword puzzle. She is absolutely amazing! (Shari is the special needs woman who lives with us). Katrina visited an old friend, who lives in Winter Park yesterday. Michael skied yesterday, and is getting ready to ski again today. We are up here for 3 nights and will return home tomorrow -Thanksgiving day. Since Michael works at Nordstrom, he will be working long hours and he will be quite busy right into the New Year. We all are enjoying this rest before the holidays.
On December 9, I am scheduled to have my Power Port removed. It was implanted on the right side of my chest on May 13. The Power Port is attached to a vein in my neck and has three dots under the skin. The three dots mark the spot where the nurses can have instant access to a major vein. It was used during my third surgery, my fourth hospital stay, but was put in mainly in order to administer the chemotherapy. It is quite symbolic that I get to have it removed from my body! It is only a day surgery, but please continue to keep me in your prayers, because when I had it put in I threw up for two days. Anesthesia and I have some major issues!
I am so fortunate to have such a wonderful “Healing Team” of doctors, nurses, family and friends who have supported me during this incredible journey. It has taken all of my “Healing Team” to get me through this past year, so THANK-YOU ALL!
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I am incredibly thankful for all of you who have prayed for me, and the GRACE OF JESUS CHRIST.
MAY ALL OF YOU HAVE A BLESSED THANKSGIVING!
Much love,
Linda

Happy Thanksgiving, Wogan family! We are so very happy to hear all the positive news!
ReplyDeleteAnne and Roland
It is great to hear your wonderful news. Your strength is an inspiration and testimony to God's grace. It has been fun to see your comments about St Matthews days too:)
ReplyDeleteTricia Mc